Back in 2013 Bon Appetit Magazine published this recipe courtesy of Lake Austin Spa & Resort. It was back before Black Rice became “a thing” and it was always a struggle to find it in stores. A girlfriend brought it to our house for a summer dinner and it has been on repeat here ever since. These days I can find at least one, sometimes 2-3 brands on the shelves which makes it an easy menu staple. I swear that at least 3 times a month in the summer we serve this for dinner. It is incredibly healthy as black rice has the highest amount of antioxidants of all of the rices available. Add to it the fresh veggies and light vinaigrette you will fall in love with this salad.
Bonuses to this dish? 1) It is just as good the next day (maybe better) as the rice gets a chance to further take on the lemon flavor of the dressing. It can dry out a touch in the fridge over night but I just re-toss with a very small amount of extra dressing and serve. 2) Perfect for dinners outside with friends or bringing as your potluck contribution- you will get major kudos. 3) is a universal side- it can pretty much go with any grilled protein you have on tap- I especially love it with grilled chicken or shrimp. Enjoy!
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour (includes rice cooking time)
- 1 Cup Black Rice cooked to package directions or in a rice cooker.
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Walnuts ( I like them toasted)
- 1/4 Cup Meyer lemon juice or 3 Tblsp. Regular lemon juice
- 2 tsps. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tblsp. Agave syrup (You can swap out for honey but the Agave blends in the dressing much better)
- 1/4 Cup Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Scallions, thinly sliced (White and tender green parts only)
- 1 Cup Shelled Edamame (frozen / thawed)
- 1 Cup Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces Green beans, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Chop toasted walnuts into small pieces.
- In a small food processor: combine lemon juice, vinegar, and agave.
- With motor running gradually drizzle in oil.
- Season vinaigrette with salt.
- In a large bowl- combine rice, walnut pieces, scallions, edamame, tomatoes, green beans, and vinaigrette.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately. If you make in advance be sure to re-toss prior to serving as the dressing will settle toward the bottom of the bowl.